With the new school year underway, it is hard to believe our kids will EVER reach a point where it is easy to get up in the mornings. But mornings do not have to be dreaded or difficult. Instead they should be a fresh start to a new day!
The best practice to establish smooth mornings is to begin the process the night before.
- Be sure all homework is complete and necessary papers are signed by parents.
- Place back packs, gym clothes and coats/sweaters by the door for easy access in the morning.
- Pack lunches and stack all food together in the refrigerator to be easily put in a lunch bag.
- Have your child pick out the outfit they want to wear the next day including shoes and socks.
- Fold/hang everything neatly in one spot and establish the rule that the outfit cannot be changed the following morning.
- Baths or showers should be done in the evening and are a great way to wind down for sleep.
- Wrap up with a little reading before bed.
The most important thing to help with the morning process is to establish a routine. This may take a couple weeks to iron itself out. Starting the morning on a happy note is a key factor. Be sure the alarm is set to a station that the child prefers BUT make sure the volume is turned up to an uncomfortable level. If this doesn’t work, try singing at the top of your lungs “Rise and shine and give God your glory glory!!”. Kids love this!! If this still does not work, start opening blinds and turning on lights.
Make sure the kids are fully dressed, with teeth brushed and face washed before breakfast. Having everything done before breakfast allows for a more relaxing meal. Purchase simple, healthy foods that kids can eat quickly and on-the-go if necessary. And most important, do not forget a good-bye kiss and hug!